Purpose of the position:
The South China Morning Post is seeking an experienced and enterprising reporter to join our Asia desk. The reporter will play a key role shaping the SCMP’s deeply nuanced coverage of Singapore and Southeast Asia for a global audience. They will also have a firm understanding of Beijing’s relations with Asian countries, and will add firepower to the SCMP’s mission to lead the global conversation about China.
This is a fast-paced job with no set parameters. On any given day, you could be writing about the latest developments in Singapore politics, surging inflation and recession concerns, the South China Sea dispute or the latest in meme culture. You will collaborate closely with colleagues across the region from Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, New Delhi, Tokyo and our headquarters in Hong Kong to consistently deliver original, timely and high-impact stories. You will have a digital-first mindset with a keen understanding of the need for speed, accuracy and brevity in writing for SCMP.com, while also having the ability to produce long-form enterprise stories for our Sunday print magazine, This Week in Asia. Your job title will correspond to your level of experience and you will report to the Asia Editor.
In this role, you will:
- Rewriting stories to improve narrative structure and flow, with sensitivity to the author's voice; adding in relevant context and background
- Editing, fact-checking and ensuring copy is free from errors and meets world-class newsroom standards
- Crafting top quality Search Engine Optimised headlines, index headlines, summaries and photo/graphics captions
- Guiding less experienced writers on sharpening story angles as requested by the news editor
- Proofreading text of multimedia content and compiling newsletters
- Monitoring wire services when needed
Skills and Experience that will lead to success:
- Minimum of 4 years editing experience in a real-time online news operation or wire service
- Solid news judgement, a familiarity with Asia news and a keen ability to get to the heart of a story quickly and clearly, highlighting the stakes for a global audience
- Can-do attitude with excellent English skills and zero tolerance for errors
- Journalism experience would be ideal; Chinese language skills are a big plus though not essential
- Able to adapt to flexible work timings, including working during evenings, weekends and public holidays
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office, we are open to considering requests for flexible working arrangements.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy.