The South China Morning Post is seeking a news industry veteran for the role of Managing Editor, a Masthead level position alongside the Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, and Executive Managing Editor. The Managing Editor leads operations, safety and training across a newsroom of more than 300 journalists, focussing on people, recruiting, communications and relations with other business departments. Among other responsibilities, the Managing Editor will:
- Implement the company’s strategic plan to grow the business and maximise value to our readers, employees and the community
- Set clear goals and priorities for the Editorial Department and link editorial efforts to company objectives and business results
- Strategic planning, development and management of the newsroom for digital and print content
- Manage the budget process, manage costs, adhere to spending targets, managing headcounts and capex. Run general office admin, staff safety programs
- Drive internal communications on behalf of Masthead leadership, organize Editorial Town Halls, communication on key milestones and important editorial and company decisions
- Advise on latest trends and developments in the industry. Introduce best practices and operational improvements for the Editorial Department to meet high quality standards.
- Improve effectiveness, efficiency and fairness in the department’s daily operation and resources allocation
- Attend weekly operating committee and monthly business meetings and provide continuous feedback loop to editorial to ensure aligned with company strategy. Help lead interdepartmental communications, liaising with business units to align strategies
- Build external partnerships with international organisations ranging from the Trust Project and First Draft Coalition to news agencies and journalist associations
- Lead recruitment across the organisation, coordinating with Masthead Leadership to hire in line with Editorial strategy, and also align editorial talent policies with the company, and proactively reach out to potential candidates for further consideration
- Build wider outreach with key recruitment centres including local and global universities and journalist organisations
- Lead annual submissions to journalism awards, monthly internal journalism awards
- At least 15 years of extensive journalistic experience in writing, editing and management positions with a national or regional publication, preferably with a sound knowledge of the Asian region.
- Thorough knowledge of newsroom operations, the newspaper business and the various tasks performed by the editorial team.
- Solid understanding of business principles, financial aspects of the information industry and group dynamics.
- Strategic and forward thinking mindset with proven leadership capability and a strong sense of integrity.
- Ability to analyse situations quickly, make decisions when needed, lead news professionals, deal effectively with the public, function well as part of a team and delegate effectively.
- A record of hiring good people and a commitment to diversity.
- Proficiency in English, Chinese will be a big plus.
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy.