Purpose of the position:
Purpose of the We are looking for a top-notch, versatile senior writer to deliver a range of business topics from the region surrounding the world’s second-largest economy for a global readership. The position can be based in Hong Kong, Beijing or Shanghai. Be prepared and be willing to travel wherever the story takes you.
Have a keen nose for news, ability to crunch numbers and analyze data, the temperament to interview and extract comments from non-English speakers, and the skills to weave reporting into coherent narratives.
- Deliver the best business coverage from Asia's most important financial market for a global readership
- Plan, prepare and organize different packages of medium- and long-term story ideas, based on your own reporting and interviews by our entire team of reporters
- Spot trends and get the stories behind the news and behind the personalities driving China Inc
- Must be familiar with business news coverage, from commodities to financial markets to property
- Must be able to conduct an interview in Mandarin, and be able to read a document written in Chinese
- Degree holder with at least 3 years’ reporting experience, and with a proven track record of delivering exclusives and deep analysis on Chinese companies and financial markets
- Familiarity with business and data-based reporting, including the ability to read financial statements, stock exchange filings, shareholders' notes, stock prices, analysts' reports, and rating statements
- Top notch English writing skills and the ability to deliver to the deadline are absolute musts
- Good knowledge of the economies of mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan as well as the companies that operate in the region
- Able to work with our online news organization that also publishes a daily newspaper, ideally have some experience straddling the two formats
- Self-starting professional and team player, willing to pitch in where needed and take on any task
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy. You may consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 6 weeks.