Purpose of the position:
South China Morning Post (SCMP) is looking for a Content Strategist to join our commercial content team, Morning Studio. This content strategist will largely focus on developing content strategy of our clients and partners in Mainland China. SCMP is dedicated to elevating the conversation around Asia and China. Morning Studio works with our advertisers and brands to help develop branded content for our platform.
We are looking for a content strategist to work with our partners to develop and ideate strategies for working with Morning Studio. This role will work on the front lines with our sales teams and clients (primarily with our China and Hong Kong markets) to develop new content pitches, grow client relationships, and communicate the role content can play (especially on the SCMP platform) for brand engagement and awareness.
Ideal candidates for this role will be a one-of-a-kind creative thinker who is passionate about storytelling for advertisers across our platforms. Not only do you bring innovative solutions to our advertising partners, but you have a passion for supporting your reasoning with data and insights.
Successful candidates will have experience as a content creator and working with clients.
- Own, develop and articulately convey content strategies through clear and visually compelling pitch decks
- Pitch and develop new content ideas during the sales period, with a strong focus on developing and adhering to an overarching content strategy
- Contribute content strategies and ideas that grow client relationships and win repeat business
- Identify the right SCMP products and communities to bring a strategy and content idea to life
- Always working to have a deep understanding of the strategy behind different content platforms, and how a brand can access the right type of audience.
- Work effectively across different teams and different projects from our various offices, particularly in Hong Kong and China
- Have their finger on the pulse of new content trends, styles and platforms, particularly in China
- Bring forward a degree of creativity and innovation towards pitches - not afraid to push boundaries and propose new ideas
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as a content strategist, creative planner or content manager at a publisher or agency
- Has 1 to 2 years experience working in China or extensively with Chinese partners or clients
- Good editorial judgement and extensive knowledge of news and current events, entertainment, culture and viral content
- Strong foundation in content strategy, developing strategy in a content environment
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Strong understanding and use of data and research to inform a strategy
- Understanding of various tools to obtain data (e.g. Google Analytics, Google Trends, Buzzsumo, etc.)
- Understanding of tools and platforms to conduct research in Chinese
- Experience developing PPT/Google Slides
- Experience in understanding how to build engagement, or a willingness to learn about digital distribution and content marketing trends
- Organizational skills that allow for multiple projects to be produced simultaneously.
- Must work effectively with others in a team-oriented environment
- Work well under pressure with an ability to meet deadlines
- Heart of a Journalist, Mind of an Analyst: creating content ideas and innovations that are as good as the numbers and strategy to support it
- Fluency in spoken and written English as well as spoken and written Mandarin
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy.