About the Team:
The Corporate Communications function is a part of the Audience Growth department which oversees all brand guardianship and communications. Audience Growth colleagues adopt a growth mindset to their daily work and believe there is a huge opportunity in exploring new things.
Purpose of the position:
As a member of SCMP’s leadership team, the Corporate Communications Director plays a key role in overseeing the company’s publicity, brand-building, and reputation management efforts. The role is responsible for driving awareness about SCMP’s robust reporting and supporting the newsroom editors and journalists when required. The Director will work closely with the CEO and the leadership team to drive communications activities to elevate the company’s public profile. The position also supports internal communications, trade marketing teams and CSR initiatives.
In this role, you will:
- Set the overall direction and strategy for the company’s corporate communications, working in tandem with Audience Growth’s brand-building efforts.
- Develop and maintain SCMP’s corporate narrative and strategic messaging, ensuring all department heads are regularly updated on critical talking points. Includes researching and preparing speeches with a clear focus on audience impact and reach.
- Lead crisis communications situations and oversee issues management. Rapidly develop internal and external communication strategies to effectively manage and mitigate perception risks.
- Lead and manage outreach campaigns and external comms-related engagement, focusing on SCMP’s management team and culture, newsroom leaders, and journalists.
- Garner interview and speaking engagement opportunities that demonstrate and build thought leadership and editorial expertise.
- Overseeing all media relations and grow “earned media” share in Hong Kong and key overseas markets.
- Support internal communications and CSR initiatives that build and strengthen SCMP’s profile.
- Provide communications support for major SCMP events and experiences.
- Manage SCMP’s PR Blog and amplify publicity opportunities on SCMP’s social platforms.
- Oversee media monitoring to track SCMP’s reputation and influence of SCMP’s news reporting.
- Identify and support awards submissions to garner industry recognition that reinforce SCMP’s reputation as Asia’s leading news organisation.
- Manage a team of 3 direct reports.
Skills and Experience that will lead to success:
- At least 10 years professional experience in public and corporate communications. Experience in a technology, media, FMCG, PR agency, or listed companies would be advantageous.
- Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Language or related disciplines. Masters degree would be advantageous.
- Excellent writing and oral skills are critical for this position, with clarity in thinking and storytelling. Ability to think independently and strategically.
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with matrix structures managing multiple stakeholders and meeting tight deadlines
- Experience working in global firms across diverse cultures is preferred with an appreciation for inclusiveness and equality.
- A strong network of media and industry contacts in Hong Kong and the region, and working knowledge of top-tier conferences and speaking engagements.
- Demonstrated experience in crisis management within a very fast-moving environment.
- Digital-savvy, with hands-on experience using social media platforms for public relations purposes.
- A strong team player who is able to contribute towards shared company goals by collaborating with peers from across the organisation to bring the best combined efforts to garner results.
- Must be adaptable, willing to learn, motivated, and has a “can do” attitude
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy.